Welcome to Musculoskeletal Tumor Surgery
Our practice is focused exclusively on tumors of the bones, muscles and connective tissues, together known as the musculoskeletal system. Musculoskeletal tumors can be benign or malignant, i.e. cancer. When a cancer starts in bone or muscle, it is called sarcoma.
Musculoskeletal tumors are uncommon, and thus not familiar to most physicians. Many of our patients will have seen several doctors before being referred. Some will have been given an inaccurate diagnosis. We treat children and adults. Due to the specialized nature of our practice, patients come to us from Maryland, Virginia & the District, from the West Virginia border to the Delaware border.
Our first and foremost goal is to make the correct diagnosis for you as quickly as possible. In order to do this, we will carefully review each of your previous imaging studies at the time of your visit and order new ones if necessary. We will request and review any tissue specimens if a biopsy has previously been done.
We are a proud part of the multi-specialty Virginia Hospital Center Physician Group.
Our Medical Director, Dr. Wodajo has more than ten years of dedicated experience in the highly specialized field of musculoskeletal tumor surgery. In addition to a high volume practice exclusive to these conditions, he is academically active, regularly writing & reviewing manuscripts. He has authored a textbook on musculoskeletal tumors. With over a decade of work in this field, he has developed a regional reputation for excellence in diagnosis and surgical outcomes.
Collaborating with other talented specialists is integral to providing the best patient care. Correctly diagnosing the musculoskeletal tumors often involves close collaboration between the surgeon, radiologist and pathologist.
Treatment for musculoskeletal cancers ("sarcomas") is always done as a team, including a surgeon, a medical and a radiation oncologist. Children with malignant tumors are treated with pediatric oncologists. Read more about our Sarcoma Team.
Below are some of the conditions we treat frequently.
- Ewing's sarcoma
Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Synovial sarcoma
- Malignant fibrous hstiocytoma (Undifferentiated sarcoma)
- Spindle cell sarcoma
- Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans (DFSP)
Metastatic Bone Cancers
- Repair of fractures caused by breast, lung or kidney cancers & multiple myeloma
Benign bone tumors
- Non-ossifying fibroma
- Bone cyst
- Giant cell tumor
- Osteoid osteoma
- Fibrous dysplasia
- Paget's disease
- Langerhans cell histiocytosis
Benign soft tissue tumors
- Fibromatosis/Desmoid tumor
- Pigmented villonodular synovitis (PVNS)
- Hemangioma/Vascular malformation
- Synovial Chondromatosis
Virginia Hospital Center
For over 60 years, Virginia Hospital Center has provided exceptional medical services to the Washington metropolitan area. In 2004, Virginia Hospital Center celebrated the Grand Opening of a new $150 million state-of-the-art facility.
The Hospital offers comprehensive healthcare and multiple Centers of Excellence including: Cardiology & Cardiovascular Surgery, Oncology, Neuroscience, Urology, and Women & Infant Health. Growing service lines include the only Lung Cancer Center in Northern Virginia, Colorectal Surgery and more.
- Named one of the Nation’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals by Truven Health Analytics. The only hospital in the Washington, DC Metropolitan region – 11.05.2013
- Named one of the Nation’s 100 Top Hospitals® by Truven Health Analytics. Also one of only 17 of the 100 Top Hospitals to receive the 2013 Everest Award – 02.25.2013
- Received a Hospital Safety Score of A from The Leapfrog Group – 2013
- Recognized by Joint Commission as a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® for the following measures: Heart Attack, Heart Failure, Pneumonia and Surgical Care for 2012.
- more hospital awards ...